Scholarship Information Session
New Summer Scholarship
The Fairhaven Summer Course Scholarship: A $1000 summer session award given to newly admitted or currently enrolled Fairhaven students who are taking summer session courses. Scholarship must be applied toward summer 2023 tuition.
Students must be formally admitted to or enrolled in Fairhaven College during the award period in order to be eligible for Fairhaven College scholarships and grants.
Awardees must enroll for a minimum of 12 credits per quarter.
Scholarships open to all regardless of citizenship status.
Awards will be divided over Fall, Winter and Spring Quarters for the 2023-2024 academic year.
You can find the renewal applications on this page at the bottom of the scholarships list.
Recipients of renewable scholarships must submit the following by the date indicated in your renewal letter:
- a short essay addressing your academic progress
- an unofficial copy of your transcript
- any other materials requested in the renewal letter
Renewal is not automatic. It is contingent on an application that justifies renewal and continued success meeting the criteria for the scholarship.
How to Apply
Each Scholarship listed below has its own application criteria. Please see specific scholarship descriptions and applications for requirements. If you are applying to multiple scholarships, you cannot submit the identical essay for each application. Each essay MUST specifically address the criteria and spirit of the scholarship. If your essay does not address the specifics of the scholarship, then it will be rendered ineligible.
Application Forms - Instructions
Students applying for more than one scholarship must submit a separate application for each scholarship. **You must fill out the form or else your application will not be complete.**
Letter of Recommendation
Copy and send this link to the people writing your letters of recommendation. Fairhaven College recommendation form . A single letter of recommendation can be used for multiple scholarship applications. Letters of recommendation can be written by faculty or community members.
Audio Technology, Music, and Society
- Royal Hanson President’s Academic Scholarship for Audio Technology, Music, and Society Students: A transformational, boutique scholarship for artists, rebels and revolutionaries that covers full tuition and fees for one academic year and is renewable for up to four years. This scholarship is for students of high merit with talent, vision, and ambition who want to use audio recording and music to create, innovate and shake things up and make this a better world for all peoples. Its purpose is to inspire and support critical thought, artistic expression, risk-takers and change leaders. Students must be enrolled in Fairhaven College and have declared the Audio Technology, Music, and Society minor during the scholarship period. Applications from students who plan to meet these requirements but are not currently enrolled and/or declared are welcome.
- Carten Family: This scholarship covers full in-state tuition and fees for one academic year. This scholarship is for a student with entrepreneurial, non-profit, or self-employment interest. Preference for students studying computer science or self-employment.
- Kobata and Sons Scholarship for Future Farmers: $1,000 for a student interested in food production.
- Arthur Mafti and Martha Perry Fairhaven Scholarship $500 to Any Fairhaven Student.
- Conant Dodge and Wayne Dodge Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 for a first-generation student.
- Department Tuition & Fee Waiver: $900 for a full-time Fairhaven student with superior academic ability.
- Fairhaven Opportunity Scholarship for Emotional Intelligence: $1,000 for a student showing Emotional Intelligence.
- Fairhaven Opportunity Scholarship for Resiliency: $1,000 for a student showing Resiliency.
- Woodring Fairhaven: $1,000 for a student likely to make contributions to humankind because of their liberal education.
Healing Arts & Alternative Medicine
- Pat Karlberg: This scholarship covers full in-state tuition and fees for one academic year. This scholarship is for a student who has demonstrated interest in the healing arts and alternative medicine.
- Offered by Robert Keller. A $1000/year award intended for a Fairhaven College student with an interest or concentration focus in history.
- Harvey Gelder: $500 for a student with a demonstrated interest in math and/or science.
- Daniel and Pandora Larner Opportunity Scholarship for Law, Diversity and Justice: A $2,000 award to a Fairhaven student focused on Law, Diversity and/or Justice.
- Eunice Segilola Akinrinade Scholarship for Law, Diversity and Justice, Human Rights Minor, or the Holocaust and Genocide Studies Minor a $2,000 scholarship for a student enrolled in the Law, Diversity and Justice (LDJ) Program (Concentration or Minor), or the Human Rights Minor, or the Holocaust and Genocide Studies (HGST) Minor.
- Elsie Heinrick Scholarship for First Generation Student in Law, Diversity & Justice $2,000 award given to a currently enrolled First Generation Fairhaven student focused on Law, Diversity, and Justice (in LDJ minor or have a concentration focusing on LDJ issues). Preference for award is given to a student with high financial need and outstanding academic merit.
- Blake Grinstein Scholarship-Arts: $2,500 for a student with an interest in visual arts directed at social issues.
- Annis J. Hovde: $500 for a student showing promise in creative writing.
- Daniel and Pandora Larner Opportunity Scholarship for Dramatic Writing: $2,000 to a student focused on writing.
- Don McLeod: $500 for a student who demonstrates an interest in literature or writing.
- Blake Grinstein Scholarship RENEWAL Application
- Conant Dodge and Wayne Dodge Memorial Scholarship
- Daniel and Pandora Larner Opportunity Scholarship for Dramatic Writing RENEWAL Application
- Daniel and Pandora Larner Opportunity Scholarship for Law, Diversity and Justice RENEWAL Application
- Don McLeod Scholarship RENEWAL Application
- Elsie Heinrick Scholarship for First Generation Student in Law, Diversity & Justice
- Fairhaven Opportunity Scholarship Emotional Intelligence
- Royal Hanson President's Academic Scholarship for Audio Technology, Music, and Society Students RENEWAL Application
College of the Environment/Fairhaven
The Elliot Scott Memorial Scholarship Endowment is intended to provide scholarships to deserving College of the Environment/Fairhaven students pursuing a degree in sustainable farming or related permaculture work.
Please apply though the Student Scholarship Application. Opens Late February
WWU Diversity Scholarships
The Whatcom Community Foundation is offering a selection of diversity scholarships intended specifically for WWU students. These scholarships have been funded by friends and alumni of Western and are intended to help advance the mission of increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion at WWU.