How to write a Self-Evaluation
Fairhaven College classes do not use the A-to-F grading system. Students evaluate their own performance in detail for each Fairhaven college course. The student self-evaluation, combined with their faculty member's narrative assessment of the student's work, records the individual qualities of student academic performance in Fairhaven coursework.
Below are guidelines for current Fairhaven students on how to write a narrative self-evaluation. Be specific & detailed.
Expectations & Goals
- What did I expect to learn?
- What were my goals?
- What did I take on? What was my approach to regular assignments and to larger projects?
- What were the individual projects I completed? Did I complete all assignments? If not, why not? Did I do more than was assigned? If so, what? And what did I accomplish with this extra work?
- How well did I do routine assignments and/or special projects? Did I find a way through confusion, hang-up, procrastination, or disaffection with the work?
- Be specific about my attendance. Was I there? If not, how often, and why not? Did I support the community of learning in the classroom? Did I come to class prepared? If so, how consistent was I? How well did I prepare? Did I find ways to improve it during the term?
- What was my role in class discussion and/or other class activities? What did I do/not do to facilitate good discussion or other fruitful participation in activities? Was I prepared? Did I make specific note of my problems and questions and bring them to class to share them?
- How well did I do? What were my strengths and weaknesses? What do I need to work on most? What new strengths or weaknesses did I discover?
- If I had problems or difficulties with the way the class was working for me, did I bring those to the attention of the instructor so circumstances could improve? Did I do other things to face difficulty squarely?
- Did I seek out help when I needed it? How successful was I? What did I do/not do to make my work as good as it could be?
- What did I learn (subject matter, skills, ways of knowing and working)?
- What changes happened in my attitude, my confidence, my way of going about or looking at things?
- What’s next? Where do I (could I) I go from here?