The Adventure Learning Grant
About the Adventure Learning Grant
The Adventure Learning Grant is a $20,000 stipend awarded annually to a small number of Fairhaven students (1-4) so that they may travel abroad to enrich their education with intellectual risk, challenge, and adventure. The purpose of the Adventure Learning Grant is to challenge students’ perspectives, enrich their education, expose them to intellectual risk, and help embody challenge and adventure as integral to a Fairhaven education.
NOTE ON COVID19: These are unique times. We are planning to continue with the ALG recruitment and selection process in the 2021/2022 academic year despite our inability to know whether international travel will be allowed for the next round of ALG awardees. We ask that you think about the uncertainty of our future travel options when preparing and applying - in case this level of uncertainty precludes you applying.
We have a canvas page to share important information with ALG applicants, click on this link to join: ALG Canvas Page
The purpose of the Adventure Learning Grant is to challenge students perspectives, enrich their education, expose them to intellectual risk, and help embody challenge and adventure as integral to a Fairhaven education. The grants will enable Fairhaven students to have extended experiences with cultures outside of the United States and to integrate those experiences into Fairhaven College.
Applicants must be a current student, be enrolled in at least their second quarter at Fairhaven, must have their concentration filed or major declared prior to departure, plan to travel for 10 months consecutively, and must be committed to returning to Fairhaven for three quarters following the 10 month period of the Adventure Learning Grant.
- Creativity and ingenuity of proposed project
- Likelihood that proposed experience will challenge student's perspectives
- Extent to which culture(s) the student will experience differs from that of the United States
- Student's commitment to integrating the Adventure Learning experience into the Fairhaven community
- Probability that student will make full use of opportunities provided by the Adventure Learning Grant
- Student's awareness of the importance of learning respectfully from the people and culture(s) visited
Adventure Learning Grant (ALG) Information Sessions
This Fall 2021 term we will have 3 ALG info sessions on the following dates and times all in Room 326 at Fairhaven:
- Oct 11 at 10:30am
- Oct 26 at 1pm
- Nov 19 at 9:30am
We will meet in person (room 326), and virtually. If you want to connect virtually email Hilary for the zoom link: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There will be snacks, visits from former and current ALG recipients, and ample opportunity to learn more about the ALG application process and experience - and to have all of your questions answered.
- January 4, 2022- Applications due
- January 5-10, 2022 Proposals read by Committee
- January 10, 2022 Announce finalists
- January 13 & 14, 2022 Interview Finalists
- January 15, 2022 Grant recipients announce
Expectations of Grant Recipients
- Use the two quarters prior to the Adventure Learning Grant experience to prepare to take full advantage of the opportunities provided by the grant.
- Pursue the proposed project with curiosity and enthusiasm, making changes in consultation with advisor and ALG Coordinator to take advantage of new opportunities.
- Participate in a program of regular communication with Fairhaven College so that other students can share in and learn from your experiences and insights.
- Submit final report of activities and financial accounting within 30 days of return.
- Return to Fairhaven for a minimum of three academic quarters and conduct a program (lectures, slideshow, performances, teaching a class, etc.) to share experience in depth with other students.
- Conduct oneself in a responsible manner and avoid all illegal activities during the grant period.
Hilary Schwandt for the meeting links.
Deadlines - 2021/2022
- Spring through December 2021: Preparation of applications; attend information and orientation sessions; solicitation of letters of recommendation
- January 4, 2022 Applications due
Information & Application Instructions
Current and Past ALG Students
2021-2022 ALG Students
2020-2021 ALG Students
Fialaui'a Ester Lamositele's Blog:
2019-2020 ALG Students
2018-2019 ALG Students
Sequoia Pullella-Barca: Colombia, Ecuador, and beyond. 2018-2019
Rachel Diego: Regional Food Heritage