The Adventure Learning Grant
About the Adventure Learning Grant
The Adventure Learning Grant (ALG) is a $20,000 stipend awarded annually to 3 Fairhaven students so that they may travel abroad to enrich their education with intellectual risk, challenge, and adventure. The purpose of the Adventure Learning Grant is to challenge students’ perspectives, enrich their education, expose them to intellectual risk, and help embody challenge and adventure as integral to a Fairhaven education.
NOTE ON COVID19: These are unique times. We are planning to continue with the ALG recruitment and selection process in the 2020/2021 academic year despite our inability to know whether international travel will be allowed for the next round of ALG awardees. We ask that you think about the uncertainty of our future travel options when preparing and applying - in case this level of uncertainty precludes you from applying.
We have a canvas page to share important information with ALG applicants, click on this link to join: ALG Canvas Page
The purpose of the Adventure Learning Grant is to challenge students perspectives, enrich their education, expose them to intellectual risk, and help embody challenge and adventure as integral to a Fairhaven education. The grants will enable Fairhaven students to have extended experiences with cultures outside of the United States and to integrate those experiences into Fairhaven College.
Applicants must have completed at least two quarters at Fairhaven, must have their concentration filed or major declared prior to departure, and must be committed to returning to Fairhaven for three quarters following the 10 month period of the Adventure Learning Grant.
- Creativity and ingenuity of proposed project
- Likelihood that proposed experience will challenge student's perspectives
- Extent to which culture(s) the student will experience differs from that of the United States.
- Student's commitment to integrating the Adventure Learning experience into the Fairhaven community.
- Probability that student will make full use of opportunities provided by the Adventure Learning Grant.
- Student's awareness of the importance of learning respectfully from the people and culture(s) visited.
• January 5, 2021 Applications due
• January 6-10, 2021 Proposals read by Committee
• January 10, 2021 Announce finalists
• January 13 & 14, 2021 Interview Finalists
• January 15, 2021 Grant recipients announced
Expectations of Grant Recipients
- Use the two quarters prior to the Adventure Learning Grant experience to prepare to take full advantage of the opportunities provided by the grant.
- Pursue the proposed project with curiosity and enthusiasm, making changes in consultation with advisor and ALG Coordinator to take advantage of new opportunities.
- Participate in a program of regular communication with Fairhaven College so that other students can share in and learn from your experiences and insights.
- Submit final report of activities and financial accounting within 30 days of return.
- Return to Fairhaven for a minimum of three academic quarters and conduct a program (lectures, slideshow, performances, teaching a class, etc.) to share experience in depth with other students.
- Conduct oneself in a responsible manner and avoid all illegal activities during the grant period.
ALG Information Sessions Fall 2020
There are no more information sessions this fall.
Hilary Schwandt for the meeting links.
Deadlines - 2020/2021
- Spring through December 2020: Preparation of applications; attend information and orientation sessions; solicitation of letters of recommendation
- January 5, 2021 Applications due
Information & Application Instructions
Current and Past ALG Students
2020-2021 ALG Students
2019-2020 ALG Students
2018-2019 ALG Students
Past ALG Recipients