The Adventure Learning Grant is a $20,000 stipend awarded annually to 3 Fairhaven students so that they may travel abroad to enrich their education with intellectual risk, challenge, and adventure.
The purpose of the Adventure Learning Grant is to challenge students perspectives, enrich their education, expose them to intellectual risk, and help embody challenge and adventure as integral to a Fairhaven education. The grants will enable Fairhaven students to have extended experiences with cultures outside of the United States and to integrate those experiences into Fairhaven College.
Applicants must have completed at least two quarters at Fairhaven by the end of fall quarter and must be committed to returning to Fairhaven for three quarters following the period of the Adventure Learning Grant.
- Creativity and ingenuity of proposed project
- Likelihood that proposed experience will challenge student's perspectives
- Extent to which culture(s) the student will experience differs from that of the United States.
- Student's commitment to integrating the Adventure Learning experience into the Fairhaven community.
- Probability that student will make full use of opportunities provided by the Adventure Learning Grant.
- Student's awareness of the importance of learning respectfully from the people and culture(s) visited.
- Use the two quarters prior to the Adventure Learning Grant experience to prepare to take full advantage of the opportunities provided by the grant.
- Pursue the proposed project with curiosity and enthusiasm, making changes in consultation with advisor and ALG Coordinator to take advantage of new opportunities.
- Participate in a program of regular communication with Fairhaven College so that other students can share in and learn from your experiences and insights.
- Submit final report of activities and financial accounting within 30 days of return.
- Return to Fairhaven for a minimum of three academic quarters and conduct a program (lectures, slideshow, performances, teaching a class, etc.) to share experience in depth with other students.
- Conduct oneself in a responsible manner and avoid all illegal activities during the grant period.
Information & Application
ALG General Information (PDF)
ALG Application (PDF)
ALG Information Sessions 2016
- Mon Sept 26 10 a.m.
- Fri September 30, 9:00 a.m.
- Weds September 28, 5:00 p.m.
If you cannot attend one of these orientations please contact Niall.Omurchu@wwu.edu to arrange an individual or small group session.
Deadlines - 2016
- Spring through October 2016 Preparation of applications; Solicitation of letters of recommendation; Information and orientation sessions
- November 3, 2016- Applications due
- Nov 4-10, 2016 Proposals read by Committee
- Nov 14, 2016 Announce finalists
- Nov 16-17, 2016 Interview Finalists
- Nov 21, 2016 Grant recipients announced
- Winter 2017 – FAIR 334B Global Inquiry Seminar or Independent study preparation for Adventure Learning Grant
- Spring 2017 – INTL 301 Global Principles required university travel course
- Summer or Fall 2017 - Adventure Learning Grant begins!