Why Choose Fairhaven
What Makes Fairhaven College Unique?
Fairhaven College offers students a unique educational experience within Western Washington University. Fairhaven students have the opportunity to draw from a variety of different interests and to explore their passions in creating their own course of study. Within a small community of about 400 students, Fairhaven students build strong mentoring relationships with professors and advisors, guiding students throughout their education. As a result, Fairhaven students enjoy a variety of distinct learning opportunities:
- Most classes at Fairhaven have 15-20 students, creating space to make connections, engage in dialogue, collaborate with one another and ask questions.
- While Fairhaven College students participate in a small community learning environment, they are also involved in the Western campus community and continue to take courses throughout the university.
- Fairhaven’s interdisciplinary curriculum is shaped around inquiry, creativity, leadership and scholarship.
- Fairhaven College courses emphasize critical inquiry with a focus on social justice, diversity, and innovation.
- Fairhaven students are active participants in leadership opportunities, community activism, art, and performance across campus and throughout the community.
Fairhaven Core Curriculum
The Fairhaven Interdisciplinary Core Curriculum replaces WWU’s General University Requirements (GURs), including foundational interdisciplinary coursework with courses such as Science and Our Place on the Planet, Social Relationships and Responsibilities, and Critical and Reflective Inquiry. The Core Curriculum also includes process classes that guide students step by step through their academic career at Fairhaven. These courses are designed to support students to create a self-designed, individual degree plan.
Fairhaven College students have the option to pursue a major through the many departments at Western Washington University, as well as the opportunity to create their own individualized Interdisciplinary Concentration combining interests from more than one discipline into a cohesive course of study. Examples of Fairhaven Interdisciplinary Concentrations include: Medicine and Social Justice; Law, Diversity and Justice: Sustainable Food Ecosystems; International Conflict and Social Justice: Methods in Peacemaking; Youth Advocacy: Social Activism through Expressive Arts. For more information about choosing a major, look at our degree options.
In addition to the financial aid and scholarships available through Western Washington University, Fairhaven students have access to a number of additional Fairhaven scholarships.
Fairhaven students have a wide variety of opportunities to get involved in their communities whether they hope to be socially involved, culturally engaged or athletically challenged both on and off campus.
With a wide range of interests among our graduates Fairhaven alumni go on to a variety of different career paths. Our alumni are leaders in a broad range of fields such as social entrepreneurship, law, social justice education, and environmental sustainability.
Admission to Fairhaven College requires successful admission to Western Washington University as well. Learn more about Western Washington University and the admissions process by connecting with the WWU Admissions Office.